Thursday 23 February 2017

Go, Goa, Go again and again!

The only reason I love my profession is that I can travel; at the cost of my client. So this is the part of the year when the world is in a fix to travel to Goa for it takes a fortune to make a 3 day trip while I get a fully sponsored trip. But to my dismay, I don’t have a very happening team and stay in Madgaon which is really a ‘gaon’ which barely represents the life in north Goa.
However, I like this part of Goa too; the part which I would never have explored if I visited Goa only with friends. Visiting temples, churches, museums, etc. is fun too. Sometimes it is good to be sober in Goa and be in the real world. After all, I must not forget, I have come here to work.
I love staying alone in hotels; there is no obligation of getting up early and getting ready nor do you have to feel conscious about the way you sleep and may royally snore or just sing aloud and dance like no one is watching. Free wi-fi is an add-on to the pleasure of living alone; you are alone, yet you are with everyone.
I sat with my laptop open in front of me just to discover the battery draining out quicker than my energy left for the day at 8 in the night. The only accessible plug point was in front of the mirror besides the idiot box. So you can visualize an idiot facing an idiot box and another idiot in the mirror. It is funny to watch yourself work. It feels like you are working twice and should be paid twice though the idiot in the reflection is just a reality checker who keeps you reminding to look into the laptop whenever you accidentally look up; it is a check point for the ever-distracted creatures like me.
And when I finally get to work, after my day dreaming sessions end, it was dinner time. My team decided to have dinner in the restaurant downstairs. One of the team mates, having a weird drinking taste and the combination, orders a large beer. He believes in having an unusual mix of cocktails, I guess; orders soup. We all order sizzler which does not really look like one but the contents taste good separately. By then the colleague drinking has already overdone his quota; atleast everyone else felt so. But he was not done; he ordered a sizzling brownie. The brownie arrived after 10 minutes by which time my dear friend was fast asleep on the dinner table! The astonishing part is, inspite of the sleep trying to take over his senses, he manages to complete the ice-cream topped with chocolate sauce and 2 brownies at its base.
I am back to my room and for an hour. It is time to sleep. I lay chatting with my girlfriends. We are 4 of us from school who can go on and on for hours not realizing that something like time even exists. A trip down the memory lane goes on endlessly till we fall asleep.
But it is just not a comfortable night; the head being snuggled by the super soft pillows. I wake up 4 times, walk around like a ghost and again try to go back to sleep; and now it is already the time to wake up.
It is just a myth that women take longer to get ready. My dearest beer laid colleague is late and I sit staring at the TV, thinking of the loss of sleep time caused by this delay.
Day at work goes smoothly and our super efficient team completes work by 4 pm. With a couple of extra teas and coffees during the day, we decide to bid goodbye to the sun from Colva Beach. Sunsets are irresistibly photogenic. I am never contented with the visual pleasure of the beautiful journey of the drowning sun. Excited, I get into the car. The driver takes us for a joy trip which unexpectedly ends at our hotel. We discover that he had not been informed to take us to the beach. This confusion and miscommunication came at the cost of me keeping my never dying thirst for watching sunset unquenched; though it was still a feast to watch the twilight of the dusk.
We return to the hotel room. Today I am bored of watching the idiot in the mirror, so I decide to watch the idiot box instead. Watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S. for the nth number of time, I am enjoying the peace of being alone.
8 pm we all assemble and depart for dinner on Benolium beach. An elegantly designed white canopy and a candle lit table is the place where we decide to fill our tummies. I am facing my back to the sea and my eyes staring at the moon. It felt that the moon was having fun playing peek-a-boo with me, hiding behind the clouds forming a golden border on the black veil. As the moon set in, the tides became stronger. The playful yellow moon and the sound of the fiercely flowing waves in the background was the highlight of the trip. Any food served in this atmosphere tasted good. We had ordered for pasta with white and red sauce in penne and spaghetti respectively. The waiter arrives with the desired dishes and places it on the table saying “This is penne and this is spaghetti”. The reality spoke up and both magically turn out to be penne. The walk back to our car was yet another game – the sand trying to suck my leg and I try to pull it back. Nature’s delightful treatment was a great way to end the day.
Next morning it is time to wander around Goa. Since my age was half of the age of the next youngest team member, our interests differed a bit. We went around temples – Mangeshi temple and some other Laxmi temple. I somehow wonder how people can keep so much trust in these stones but not in themselves and their loved ones.
On our way, we stop by the old Goa Church and Dona Paula in Panjim. We halt to buy some cashews.
I ask my sir if they mind having pizza for lunch. Everyone unanimously agrees. I, being the only tech-savvy person, start searching a good pizza place in Zomato. But the generation gap also causes a gap in your choices and my sir announces we will go to the traditional pizza place – Dominos.
With heavily stuffed bellies, we proceed towards the airport. Almost 2 hours before our flight departure time we are here to kill time and some mosquitoes if we manage to find them. Check in is a bit different in Goa as compared to Mumbai; showing the technological gap between the metropolitan cities and Goa. There is no check-in kiosk, there are baggage tags issued at the check-in counter. We proceed towards security check and successfully scanning through our baggage, we make our way towards boredom of waiting.
I read my newspaper and book. Then we find a queue being formed at the boarding gate. We promptly queue up just to find out that it is not for our flight. Airports are amusing; glamorously designed shopping malls, highly priced food and the most useless creation in the human era – water fountains. If you are really thirsty, the basins of the water fountains are thirstier. You actually understand the meaning of ‘do boond zindagi ke’, when the water passes through your mouth and you are able to just taste water standing in an awkward position.

Finally we board the flight. It looks like we have got into a crèche; every third seat had a 1 odd year old and every 4th seat had a 4-5 year old. Kids are stress relievers when they’re happy and stressful when cranky. As a blessing, it was only an hour long flight. And we land in Mumbai.... Home sweet Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment